Modified Caribbean Vegetable Curry
- 1 large onion, chopped.
- 3 spring onions, chopped.
- 300g butternut squash, chopped.
- 480g mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrot, and cauliflower).
- 220g green beans.
- 1 medium aubergine.
- 3 whole bell peppers, different colours, chopped.
- 3 medium fresh tomato, chopped.
- 2.5 teaspoons curry powder.
- 5 sprays olive oil.
- 1.5 teaspoon reduced fat coconut milk.
- 1 reduced salt vegetable stock cube.
- 4 stems fresh thyme.
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered black pepper.
- 2 cups of water.
- Warm lidded non-stick cooking pot at low heat and spray with 5 sprays of olive oil spray.
- Sauté onions and spring onions, and add carrots, butternut squash, water and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until tender.
- Add vegetable stock cube, curry powder, reduced fat coconut milk, thyme, black pepper and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Access to kitchen hob.
- Lidded non-stick cooking pot.
- Wooden spoon (or other stirring utensil).
- Teaspoon or teaspoon measurer.
- Cup or cup measurer.
- Weighing scales.
Considering Carbon Footprint
Carbon footprint (per serving): 1.08 kgCO2e. This is the same as making 51 mugs of tea.*
Interested in learning more? Click here.
*Calculations made using the Carbon Footprint Calculator created by the Consumer Data Research Centre at University of Leeds.
Per 100g of edible portion:
Energy (kcal / kJ): 30kcal / 125kj
Total Fat (g): 0.5, of which saturated fatty acids (g): 0.1
Carbohydrates (g): 4.2, of which sugars: 3
Dietary fibre (g): 1.9
Protein (g): 1.2
Salt (g): 0.02
More Useful Information
This recipe is part of a series of modified African and Caribbean recipes, developed by Leeds Beckett University, University of Leeds, Feel Good Factor & Leeds ACTS. Read more about this project here.