Compost Collective Leeds
Compost Collective Leeds launched in February 2022 as a pilot programme to introduce a city-wide approach to community composting to Leeds!
Check out our overall aims below and more details about the pilot. Stay tuned for more updates to this page as we progress through the pilot.
***To register your interest in future sites, please contact Emma at firstname.lastname@example.org.***
The Compost Collective Leeds Toolkit is COMING SOON. Sign up to our newsletter here to be get notified of it’s release. You’ll have access to the members handbook and other resources to help set up your community composting site.
WHERE WE STARTED
Did you know 200 kilos of food waste is produced by the average Leeds household each year?*
And yet 40% of the average household’s bin contents are suitable for composting?**
This is where the aims of Compost Collective Leeds first began to grow.
Working with local communities to:
- Help reduce food waste by recycling food scraps
- Improve soils with scraps for growing local food+flowers
- Collectively #compostforclimate
We are currently running as a pilot programme, establishing two community composting sites in Leeds:
Compost Collective Garforth
- In collaboration with Incredible Edible Garforth and Eco-Friendly Garforth.
- Funded by Outer East Community Committee and Food for the Planet (Sustainable Food Places).
Compost Collective Seacroft
- In collaboration with We Are Seacroft, Climate Action Seacroft and LS14 Trust.
- Funded by Inner East Community Committee and Food for the Planet (Sustainable Food Places).
We are also developing a community composting toolkit to share across the city and support others to establish their own community composting site(s).
Our approach has been inspired by the model from Brighton & Hove Food Partnership. We’re working with Leeds communities to understand how those ideas can work for them and others across the city.
To stay updated with our activities, please follow up on Twitter.
For any questions or to register your interest in future sites, please email email@example.com
USEFUL LINKS ABOUT COMPOSTING AND FOOD WASTE
- Composting at home (Garden Organic)
- Why we need to reduce food waste (Love Food, Hate Waste)
*Leeds By Example **Garden Organic