Skip to content
Download Recipe Card
- 1 400g tin of kidney beans, rinsed.
- 1 red onion.
- 1 small carrot.
- 2-3 mushrooms.
- 2 garlic cloves.
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
- ½ fresh Lemon, juiced (or 1 – 1.5 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice).
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce.
- 1 small bunch coriander (optional).
- Pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour.
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs (optional).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 4 burger buns.
- 1 little gem lettuce.
- 1 large tomato.
- 2 large gherkins (optional).
- Roughly chop the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and grate the carrot into a food processor (or bowl if using a masher).
- Add the rinsed kidney beans, cumin, paprika, lemon juice, soy sauce coriander, salt, pepper and flour and blend in the processor (or mash in the bowl with grated carrot).
- With floured hands, work the mixture into 4 equal balls and shape into burgers.
- Coat each burger with the breadcrumbs and set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Put a frying pan or griddle pan on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Cook the burgers on each side for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Turning once.
- Remove the burgers and wipe the pan clean with kitchen towel.
- Lightly toast the buns in the pan and serve with lettuce, tomato and gherkins if you like them.