Skip to content
- 300g sweetcorn.
- 3 spring onions, very finely chopped.
- 3 free-range eggs.
- 30ml milk.
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chilli powder).
- Vegetable oil, for frying.
- Salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the milk.
- Add the sweetcorn and spring onions in the same bowl. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the flour with the cayenne pepper/chilli powder.
- Stir in the flour mixture into the sweetcorn mixture.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan – you need to shallow fry these, so make sure the base of the pan is well covered. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Heat the oil then test by adding a tiny bit of the batter – it should immediately start bubbling around the edges when it hits the oil.
- Using a small ladle, drop batter onto the oil – you need around 2 tbsp of mixture per fritter. You should be able to fry 4–5 at any one time.
- Fry for a couple of minutes on one side until light brown then turn over and cook for a further minute.
- Serve & enjoy!