- 2 medium white onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 6 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp. Marmite or Worcester sauce
- 3 tbsp. tomato puree
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 300g red lentils
- 300g pasta
- 100g grated cheese
- Finely dice the onions, celery and carrots.
- Chop the garlic.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the mixed herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils.
- Add the stock and stir through the marmite or Worcester sauce.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- Season the ragu (the tomato mixture) with a pinch of salt and pepper if required.
- Drain the pasta and stir it into the ragu.
- Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy.
- Kitchen Hob
- x1 Knife
- x1 Chopping board
- x1 Large pan
- x1 Wooden spoon (or anther stirring utensil)
- x1 Measuring jug or weighing scales
- x1 Tablespoon measurer
- x1 Colander (or something to drain pasta with)
"Our aims for the outdoor food activities were to include a range of vegetables, herbs, pulses and spices that families may not have used before. We also wanted to use recipes that were affordable meals on a budget. We found the simpler recipes worked best with some choice in what they added. The children liked chopping some veg but it was helpful to have some ready done as well."